QNAP TS-509 Pro Turbo NAS
Setup and Installation
Installing the hard drives took no time at all. The drive sleds pulled out from the unit with easy after undoing the securing latch.
The drives install from the underside, secured by four screws. I used my usual array of 80GB SATA2 drives, two from Excelstor, and two from Western Digital.
After inserting the sleds back into the unit, I plugged in an ethernet cable and power cable into the back of the unit, then pressed the power button. The unit hummed to life, and the LCD on the front of the machine lit up.
After the machine booted, the LCD posed a question: "Install driver?" I selected yes, then it asked me what kind of array I wanted to create. I selected RAID5 and the TS-509 Pro began creating the array.
This is the first major difference I've come across between the TS-509 Pro and TS-409U. With the TS-409U and previous units, it was necessary to use a PC equipped with QNAP's finder software that would create the RAID array and load the unit's firmware to the NAS from the machine. This isn't necessary with the TS-509 Pro, as the operating system already exists on the unit.
Jump to page:blog comments powered by Disqus
Open Source News
- Linux Mint Swap Banshee Affiliate Code, Take 100% of Profits
- Wayland Has Working Screensaver Support
- FreeBSD 9.0 May Just Be One Week Away
- Google Inc. Renews Firefox Search Deal
- Red Hat releases Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.2
- KDE Widgets: Why They Matter
- Opera 11.60 Arrives
- Racing To Finish X.Org Multi-Touch Support
- Android 4.0 For x86 Is Now Available
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Alpha 1 Released
- Dungeons of Dredmor and Introversion source code added to Bundle!
- Open-source skills best hope for landing a good job
- Xen Virtualization Comes To ARM Cortex A15
- Linux Mint 12 Released
- Ubuntu On TVs
- Diablotek Legend Computer Case
- Patriot Pyro SE Solid State Drive
- EVGA Z68 FTW Motherboard
- Antec Eleven Hundred Mid Tower Gaming Case
- Raidmax Seiran Mid-Tower
- MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III 1G/OC Video Card
- Roccat Kova[+] Optical USB Gaming Mouse
- ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe Z68 LGA 1155 Motherboard
- Crucial Ballistix 6GB DDR3 2133 MHz RAM Triple Channel Kit
- OCZ Octane 512GB Indilinx SSD
- SteelSeries Desmo Digital Eyewear
- Cooler Master Storm Trooper Full Tower Case
- IOCELL NetDISK 351UNE Network Storage Device
- Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 Low Voltage 1600MHz
- SilverStone SST-EC03 USB 3.0 PCI-E Card